At the time of enrolment in the programme, the candidates for the PhD Programme must satisfy one of the following conditions:
- To have obtained a Master degree, or equivalent, in
Computer Science or in a related area considered adequate by the
Program Committee; or
- To have obtained a Bachelor degree (Licenciatura), or
equivalent, with at least 240 credits (4 Years of studies in full
time), in Computer Science or in a related area considered adequate by
the Program Committee.
- To have a scientific or professional curriculum certifying
their ability to complete the PhD programme, as recognized by the
The applicants should produce (on line) in the dates announced
by the Academic Services of the Faculty of Science and Technology, the
documents requested, namely:
- Copy of Id Card or Passport (Fotocópia do Bilhete de Identidade)
- Curriculum vitae
- Degree Certificate (Certificado de Habilitações Académicas)
- The degree certificate should include the discrimination of the grades
obtained in all courses. It can be provisionaly replaced by a signed
statement with that information, and the expected date of conclusion of
the degree. Registration does require the official document.
- Photo (Fotografia Actualizada)
- Letter of Intent (Carta de intenções)
- In the letter of Intent, the applicants should explain
their motivation for enrolling in the programme, and whether they want
to apply for a scholarship.
- For non-native English speakers only: A certificate of their ability
to use the English language, such as the British IELTS or American
TOEFL certificates. This requirement may be replaced by a statement of
the candidates (in their CVs) regarding proficiency of English. If
necessary, the candidates should obtain one such certificate during the
first year of the programme.
Additionally, candidates should arrange that two letters of reference are emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scholarships can be obtained from FCT/MCTES in their general scholarship programmes (see http://alfa.fct.mctes.pt/apoios/bolsas/). Prospective
students are strongly recommended to apply to these sholarships and
should contact the PhD. Programme Coordinator to support their
In addition the Department of Computer Science yearly offers a
number of Ph.D. scholarships, and may waive tuition fees to outstanding
students. In the coming year 2009/10, 8 such scholarships will be
- 1 June - Deadline for the 1st phase of application to the Programme
- 1 June - Deadline for the 1st phase of application to the FCT/MCTES scholarship programme
- 19 June - Notification of acceptance.
- 31 August- Deadline for the 2nd phase of application to the Programme
- 1 September - Deadline for the 2nd phase of application to the FCT/MCTES scholarship programme
- 15 September- Notification of acceptance.
Prospective students can apply to this programme on-line following this link.